Sunday, June 29, 2008

Do you know the way to Guiones? I Do!

Every morning I wake up I start off with a couple cups of local Costa Rican coffee(Verde Cafe Rey) It's about 1000 colonies which is around 2 bucks a bag. It's a little cheaper than my Starbucks/Port City Java brew back home which usually runs about 8 bucks. Oh did I mention it taste better too? I am staying in Villa Las Tecas which I really enjoy. Here is a view from my balcony in the mornings. To the right in the wooded area you can often see Howler monkeys. The first time you hear one you will think a 10 foot ape is about to jump out but no it's these little monkeys with big attitudes.
Here is a view from inside the studio in Las Tecas. The owner Terisita keeps a really nice place. She has a great crew of employees that I probably manage to annoy on a daily basis with my spanish lessons.


Here are the grounds and pool area. Very tropical around these parts. I am also told the pool is Pee free most of the time.


I haven't used this yet but it is infront of my unit. One day when it's raining I plan on relaxing here.
On my bike I hang a left then a right then a left to roads like this.
After a few roads I come up to a great overlooking view of Playa Pelada. As mentioned before Playa Pelada is more of a local beach for ticos and ticas. Ask anyone who lives here and they will agree it's much prettier and has far better sunsets than Guiones. The surf is flaky and it breaks on crazy rocky reef.
After the Playa Pelada view Near the crazy hotel on top of the mountain you come to a small path that runs through the middle of the woods here. This is super fun to ride a bike down because it's all down hill but it gets hard with a surfboard in your hands. I am simply waiting for the day I bust my ass.
Where does that path end? Well here is a view of the end . A view with a natural frame at that. Welcome to the north end of Guiones. At high tide you're gonna have to walk through this water no getting around it but when it's low there is no water here.
Ok past the foliage view here is a better shot of Guiones. I am heading to the Palm trees to get back on my bike path.
Ok we are almost there. This is about midway. There are breaks all down Guiones but the majority of people seem to surf in one central location which is a little more south.
We were suppose to have 6-7 foot swell on this day but the tide is high right now and it's not looking to hot. Back home there would be 1000 people in the water. The sets are always easily head high here.
These are some of the locals. The majority of dark skinned people can surf their ass off here.(excluding me)
Another local ripper
Plenty of Americans found here.


And that's the end of this journey. I do this everyday when there is surf. Sometimes twice a day. It only takes about 15 mins.
ADIOS
~G

1 comment:

Jess said...

Its nice to see such simple yet beautiful pictures. Keep up the good reporting,you need to start a magazine. As always we love and miss you , sis